State ordered school closures will mean a lot of students will miss out on meals normally provided in their buildings.
Starting next week, Columbus City Schools will have pre-packaged grab-and-go meals to all children, not just district students, while the state order closing schools is in effect. 13 locations around the city will be open for breakfasts from 8-9am, and for lunch from 11am-1pm.
School board president Jennifer Adair says officials are making the process as easy as possible.
"If you go at breakfast you can pick up your lunch, too. So you can grab your meals for the day. Or if you come at lunch you can grab breakfast for the next day."
Thursday Gov. Mike DeWine announced all K-12 schools in the state would close at the through April 3rd. Columbus City Schools, like many districts is still working out how to handle academic instruction. There will be work sheets and extra materials available on the district's website.
"We can't solve every single issue; we need our community to help out. so if you are a family, or you have a family friend with another kiddo in your students class and you know they don't have internet access, just print it off. Help them out. We need to help each other in this time."
Adair says the online content is not teacher specific, and students will not be graded on material, but it is a way for parents to help students say engaged. If the closures extend beyond April 3rd the state and school districts will reevaluate how to handle instruction. Adair says the State Department of Education has put the current testing season on hold.
Locations providing free meals:
- Linden-McKinley STEM Academy (1320 Duxberry Ave.)
- South 7-12 (1160 Ann St.)
- Buckeye Middle School (2950 S. Parsons Ave.)
- Independence High School (5175 E. Refugee Road)
- Columbus Africentric Early College (3223 Allegheny Ave.)
- Sherwood Middle School (1400 Shady Lane Road)
- Centennial High School (1441 Bethel Road)
- Columbus Global Academy (4077 Karl Road)
- Mifflin High School (3245 Oak Spring Street)
- Woodward Park Middle School (5151 Karl Road)
- West High School (179 S. Powell Ave.)
- Starling Pre K-8 (145 S. Central Ave.)
- Wedgewood Middle School (3800 Briggs Road)