The Centers for Disease Control says chlorination and filtration systems at the U.S. National Whitewater Center in North Carolina, where a Westerville teen was infected by a fatal amoeba, were inadequate to properly clean the facility's waters.
The CDC says says results of all 11 water samples detected the presence of the amoeba that infected and killed 18-year-old Lauren Seitz. She swam at the facility with a church group and died June 19. She contracted primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, which is typically found in warm bodies of freshwater such as rivers and lakes and enters the human body through the nose. The CDC says the results are at levels not previously seen. The center has suspended whitewater rafting and says it will drain all the water from its system.