· 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
· 1/2 cup pesto, store-bought or homemade
· 4 sprigs fresh tarragon
· 1 shallot
· 2 cups sugar snap peas
· 1 lemon
· 4 scallions
· 1/2 tablespoon honey
· 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
· 2 cups chicken stock or water
· 2 cups shelled fresh peas
· 2 cups pea shoots
· 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
· Store-bought or homemade kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat a grill to high or a grill pan over high heat.
2. Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. In a large bowl, toss the chicken with 1/3 cup of the pesto to coat. Marinate for at least 15 minutes at room temperature (or cover with plastic wrap and marinate overnight in the fridge).
3. Pick the tarragon leaves off the stems. Mince the shallot. Halve the snap peas on a diagonal. Halve the lemon. Cut the white and light-green parts of the scallions into 1-inch pieces (discard the dark green tops).
4. When the grill or grill pan is hot, add the lemon, cut-side down. Grill, without moving, until charred and juicy, 2 to 3 minutes. Squeeze the juice into a large bowl. Whisk in the honey, tarragon, and shallot. While whisking, slowly stream in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to emulsify. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Set the lemon vinaigrette aside.
5. Thread skewers, alternating chicken with scallion, about 4 pieces of each. Season on both sides with salt and pepper. Brush the grill or grill pan with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the kebabs and grill, brushing with some of the remaining pesto every 1 to 2 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
6. While the kebabs grill, in a medium pot, bring the stock to a boil over medium heat. Add the snap peas and shelled peas and cook until bright green and tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Add to the lemon vinaigrette along with the pea shoots. Toss to coat just before serving. Taste the salad and add salt and pepper as needed. Set aside half the chicken kebabs and half the pea salad to save for leftovers. Pull the chicken and scallions off the skewers. Cover and store the chicken and salad separately in the fridge for up to 4 days.
7. To serve, dollop the pea salad with the ricotta and top with the kebabs.
From Plated by Elana Karp and Suzanne Dumaine. Copyright © 2016 by Dine In Fresh, Inc. Photographs Copyright © 2016 by Robert Bredvad. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.