· 4 medium leeks
· 2 teaspoons (10 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
· 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped into 1/4-inch (1-cm) cubes
· 4 garlic cloves, minced
· 1/4 cup (60 mL) loosely packed sage, coarsely chopped
· 1/4 cup (60 mL) dry white wine
· 4 cups (1 L) vegetable broth
· 1/4 cup (60 mL) loosely packed thyme sprigs, coarsely chopped
· 1 1/4 cups (375 mL) cooked cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
· 1 to 2 tablespoons (15 to 30 mL) fresh lemon juice
· 1 recipe traditional pesto
· Crusty bread
· Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Slice the white and light green parts of the leek into rings. Using a strainer, rinse the leeks thoroughly.
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and cook until the leeks begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the potatoes and another few generous pinches of salt, and cook until the potatoes begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
Add the garlic and sage and continue cooking for 1 more minute. Stir in the white wine and cook for 1 minute. Add the vegetable broth and thyme. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 18 minutes, adding the cannellini beans during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
Add the lemon juice, then taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more salt and pepper as desired.
Serve with traditional pesto and crusty bread on the side.
Reprinted from The Love & Lemons Cookbook by arrangement with Avery Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2016, Jeanine Donofrio.