Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Mercury Exposure Forces Closure Of A Columbus Middle School

Johnson Park Middle School is closed today after some students were exposed to mercury from a broken thermometer during an 8th-grade class on Wednesday. Mercury got on the skin and clothes of one teacher and as many as 40 students, but no illnesses are reported. The school is closed for cleaning. Mercury is a known neurotoxin that has multiple adverse health effects on children.

Jim has been with WCBE since 1996. Before that he worked as a reporter at another Columbus radio station, and for three newspapers in Southwest Florida.
Related Content