Listen

Coroner Says Columbus 12-Year-Old Died Of Fentanyl Overdose

Sep 24, 2017

Kanye Champelle
Credit Champelle family photo

The Franklin County Coroner has ruled a 12-year-old boy found unresponsive during a birthday sleepover died from an accidental overdose of fentanyl, not from choking on a piece of gum.

Columbus police are investigating how Kanye Champelle came into contact with the drug before he was found during his cousin's party at an apartment complex in July. An autopsy found no sign of an injection, and didn't specify how contact with the drug might have occurred. First-responders removed a wad of chewing gum from the boy's throat.