Ohio Suicides Rose Significantly Over The Last Ten Years
The Ohio Department of Health says the number of suicides rose by 45 percent over the last decade, and by more than 50 percent among young people.
Findings in the report include:
- The number of suicides for those age 10 to 24 increased 56% while the rate increased 64% from 2007 to 2018.
- The rate for people 65 and older increased nearly 48% between 2007 and 2018.
- White, non-Hispanic males had the highest suicide rate.
- The suicide rate among black males increased 54% from 2014 to 2018.
- Five people die by suicide every day in Ohio with over 1,800 suicide deaths last year.
ODH Medical Director Mark Hurst says it's not clear why the rates have increased.