WCBE Header Banner 20190208
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
WCBE News

Man Shot By Cleveland Police Files Civil Rights Lawsuit

littlejohnjpg-638e30cdfeb0df35.jpg
Cleveland Police
/

A man shot and paralyzed by Cleveland police following a robbery last year has filed a civil rights lawsuit against the city. 22-year-old Alex Littlejohn says his civil rights were violated when he was shot after robbing a store in May 2014. The lawsuit says the officer provided inaccurate information to the city to justify the shooting.  Littlejohn is serving 28 years in prison. The city has declined comment. A federal judge meanwhile has scheduled a status conference for June 12 the consent decree signed by the City of Cleveland with the U.S. Justice Department on reforming police operations. A federal judge must approve the deal that an an independent monitor will oversee. The DOJ says officers engage in a pattern or practice of using excessive force and violating the civil rights of citizens. Cleveland city officials have yet to release an estimate of the cost of implementing the consent decree. The police department and Mayor Frank Jackson are appealing to the community for financial support.

Related Content