The Art of Attention Episode #2: Nita Sweeney Gives Depression a Moving Target
Writer and runner Nita Sweeney talks to Daron about how she went from struggling to get off the couch to running marathons by starting small, having a plan, and relying on the support of her dog, her husband, and her friends.
You can chase down her running memoir Depression Hates a Moving Target: How Running with My Dog Brought Me Back from the Brink by visiting her author page, Mango Publishing, your local independent bookstore, Amazon, or your public library.
If you think you might be depressed, follow Nita’s example and reach out for the various types of help and support available to you.
If you live in the Columbus area, Mental Health America of Franklin County can help connect you to the support you need to get better and stay better (614-221-1441).
If you need assistance and live outside of Central Ohio, Mental Health America can help you find the help that’s available in your community (1-800-969-6642).
Resources that came up in our conversation:
- B.J. Fogg— Behavior Scientist at Stanford University
- Bum Glue— Nita’s blog about sticking to your writing plans
- The Couch to 5K ® Running Plan — Consult with your doctor first, of course
- Marathoner in Training — Sponsored by Fleet Feet + FrontRunner
- NaNoWriMo— National Novel Writing Month
- Natalie Goldberg— Writer and writing teacher
- Write Now Columbus— Monthly resource for Central Ohio writers and readers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QoYbWkplzA" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(22, 141, 217); line-height: inherit; background: transparent;">No One Said It Would Be Easy by Cloud Cult
Beautiful Ann by Joseph McDade
On the Verge by Joseph McDade