Carl Coleman has worked in law enforcement and protection for 30 years. He has provided security for professional sports teams, politicians, and public figures such as Les Wexner, James Caan, and Shaquille O’Neal. He is a lifelong learner who leverages his time to assess his life, come up with ideas, and develop projects. He started to learn how to play the piano as an adult and has been taking lessons for eleven years.
Carl and Daron talk about situational awareness, sustaining attention over extended periods of time, and the importance of challenging yourself throughout your life.
- Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race by Margot Lee Shetterly and the 2016 movie based on it
- Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds by David Goggins
Additional information related to topics we discussed:
- "Attentional Fitness Exercises for Musicians" by Daron Larson
- The Gift of Fear and Other Survival Signals that Protect Us From Violence by Gavin de Becker
- Guitar Zero: The Science of Learning to be Musical by Gary Marcus
- "Listen to Music, Observe Emotions in Your Body" by Daron Larson
- "Musical Training, Neuroplasticity and Cognition" by Ana Carolina Rodrigues, Maurício Alves Loureiro, and Paulo Caramelli
- Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain by Oliver Sacks
- Practicing: A Musician's Return to Music by Glenn Kurtz (excerpt)
- The Practicing Mind: Developing Focus and Discipline in Your Life Master Any Skill or Challenge by Learning to Love the Process by Thomas M. Sterner
- "Want a Brain That's 7 Years Younger? Science Says Do This" by Jessica Stillman
- "Want to 'Train your Brain'? Forget Apps, Learn a Musical Instrument" by Mo Costandi
Please consider leaving a review, following us on Twitter, and sharing your reflections on Facebook. Email Daron at email@example.com to share feedback, suggest a guest, or to discuss underwriting The Art of Attention podcast.